Cacao (Theobroma cacao) is a deeply loved and revered plant medicine and teacher, held in high regard for it’s heart-opening and sensational effects. There is a spreading trend of cacao ceremony facilitation and ease of access to cacao powder and "beans" (which are actually the fully dried and fermented seeds of the cacao pod). The trend has introduced many people to the expansive and profound effects of a medicinal dose of this plant ally. Most individuals who experience ceremonial cacao express feelings of deepened love and gratitude, as well heightened physical and emotional sensations. However, some people have a hard time stomaching a “ceremonial dose” of cacao.
Chocolate is known as the food of the gods, and for good reason. Cacao, the fundamental ingredient in the chocolate treats we consume today, is a potent food, with huge medicinal benefits, and a vibrant history of use. Held sacred by the Mayan peoples, this heart opening plant medicine has been used ceremonially for thousands of years.
In producing our Cacao Spagyric, we wanted to both pay respect to this plant which we love deeply, and co-create an offering that was potent, easy to use, gentler on the stomach, and simultaneously elevated and deepened by the Alchemical process. Our cacao comes from Peru, and is of the criollo variety, which is generally held in high regard for its taste, quality, and efficacy, and valued as one of the highest grade cultivars of Cacao theobroma.
Enjoy the heart opening effects of this beautiful plant in our Cacao Spagyric. The sweet and elegant taste of our preparation is often a pleasant shock, and we recommend trying this beauty right on your tongue before sprucing up your teas and beverages at any time of day. We recommend 5-10 drops per dose. (Please note that Cacao can be stimulating, so evening time is only suggested if you don't have trouble with falling or staying asleep.)
- considered by the Mayan people to be the food of the gods
- high in antioxidants and polyphenols
- contains Theobromine, a stimulating alkaloid similar to caffeine which can help lower blood pressure due to its vasodilator effects
- can help enhance mood and reduce mental fatigue
- known for its heart opening qualities
- mild aphrodisiac, can help enhance sensual expression and appreciation
- Planetary Ruler: Sun, Venus
- Energetics: bitter, warming
- Meridians/Organs: kidney, heart, spleen
- Part used: seeds or “beans"
- Active constituents: flavonoids (catechin, epicatechin, proanthocyanidins) alkaloids (theobromine), polyphenols, methylxanthine, biogenic amines
- Properties: diuretic, antioxidant, vasodilator, cardiac, antitussive, nervine, stimulant
Read more about Cacao in our blog.